Friday, August 3, 2012

The First Week of School

And it was a doozie.

We also started earlier than most of the rest of the country, and my kids were aware of this.  And they were not happy.

There were lots of tears, from Moops in particular.  They started Sunday night and continued until we started to load up into the car, Monday morning.

The Hubs even took the day off, so he too could join in the festivities.  It's a special year for us.  Ike, starts school for the first time.  And even more important, this will be the first time in 12 years that I do not have a child in tow at all times. 

That's right, I am now kid free for approximately 7 1/2 hours a day!  Do you know what kind of damage I could cause.  Tee hee.

But first, we have to get all the kids to class. 

Izzy and Alex, pretty much took themselves to class.  I think we got a half attempt at a wave good bye from Alex.  Izzy didn't even acknowledge our existence once we climbed out of the car.

The Hubs took Moops to his class.  He was OK initially, but his teacher did say there were even more tears that afternoon.  But not too bad.

And then there was Ike.  Ike is the baby, and he is a Mama's Boy too.  And there is the pesky little issue with being spoiled.  When I would take him to volunteer in Moops' class last year, he wanted no part in it.  He usually would be upset when I would tell him we were going.  He would try to hide his shoes.

So, I didn't know what to expect from him.  Was he going to end up flipping out like that one kid last year, that had to be dragged in by the PE coach, kicking and screaming demanding he be returned to his Mom.  Was he going to cry and cling to my leg.  I was really anxious, as we walked down the hall.  So far so good, he marched to his class like a good boy.  Then he entered his classroom, tossed his back pack to his teacher and headed straight for his chair.  He had this "let's do this" vibe going.  And he was really annoyed when we told him he had to go help his teacher with his back pack. 

She showed him where to put his lunch box, where to put his folder, and how to hang up his back pack.

I tried to give him a hug, and he just kept walking past me.  He told me he had to color.

So, I tried to get a picture, but he refused to look up. 

So, I tried to give him another hug.  No go. 

So, now I'm feeling all conflicted.  I am so relieved he didn't freak out.  But I'm feeling a little rejected, given he wasn't going to even give me a hug.    And then I was like "wait, I'm free!" and the scene from the movie Madagascar with that zebra popped into my head.

The Hubs and I went out to lunch on Monday, and we enjoyed eating without distractions.

And I played on facebook a lot. 

I went to the gym.

And we went grocery shopping. 

It was Twilight Zone weird at times.

We picked up the kids, which was an hour long ordeal.  But it was nice, we chatted.  I watched the lady in the car next to us pick her nose.  The kids were all exhausted, and Ike was a bit anxious over the concept of homework. 

Tuesday it was just me, all by myself.  I had a taco for lunch.  The car line only took 40 minutes. I was the Mom seat dancing to AC/DC in the minivan.  Yup, that was me. 

Wednesday I opted for a nap.  The nap did not go well.  So, I went to the gym instead. 

Thursday was grocery day.  I went grocery shopping all by myself.  I got to take my time, spent a good 10 minutes reading the back of packages.  I also went out and bought a big dry erase calendar.  Given that Izzy has 4 different enrichment activities this semester, Alex has jiu jitsu and boy scouts, Moops has jiu jitsu, and I have work.  And The Hubs travels.  I thought maybe having a calendar would be helpful.  It is really cool, it's one of those peel and stick ones.  And I got different colored markers.  He he.

And for giggles, and some Vodka.  I went to a liquor store.  I never get to go to liquor stores!  I felt 21 again, when I got carded.  That was until they then carded the 90 year old lady behind me too.  She was a bit annoyed because she had to go searching for her license and her pill case spilled out inside her bag.  And some guy in the whiskey isle was in the middle of a very heated phone discussion with someone about how to do their job right.  He was wearing one of those bluetooth thingies in his ear, so it looked like he was shouting at no one.  The cashier guy said they keep him around for entertainment purposes.

And today is Friday!  Not only is it Friday, but it is also Ike's Birthday!  So, he got to take in a special treat for his class.  We opted for Tootsie Rolls and Nerds, two of his favorites. 

It's also my cousin's birthday.  He is 30 now, and I'm sure not handing out Nerds or Tootsie Rolls to his coworkers.  Nor do I see him noshing on a giant chocolate chip cookie cake for breakfast. 

And once school is out today, it will be all about Ike.  He wants to play video games and eat cheap pizza and stay up until 10 pm.  Happy Birthday Ike!

No comments:

Post a Comment