Friday, April 15, 2011

Part Dos.....

I have to admit, Im still recovering.  But, Ill do my best to finish off my long winded attempt at sharing our Spring Break with you......

Wednesday we woke up, to yet another day of no power.  We were now well past 24 hours, and I just recently learned our other next door neighbors were also without water.  They are on a well, and with no electricity comes no pump for said well.  They had their Daughter and 6 Grandkids visiting for the Masters.  Oof....  Can you imagine herding Six kids through a sea of sunburned and most likely drunk golfers?  And unshowered at that!

My Aunt and I were determined to pull over and provide the address to every arborist and utility crew we encountered.  And I proceeded to utilize my car phone charger to keep my phone operational, while I harrassed the electric company about the danged tree on our power line.  We also had the Sheriff come out and "assess" the situation.  How the Electric Company did NOT know that we had a tree on the line really befuddles me, because I talked to at least 5 different humans at their call center, all of whom assured me that there was a report made and that we would have power no later than midnight........  I made them all promise too!  Like that really makes any sort of difference, ha ha ha. 

With our efforts made towards recitifying the leaning tower of power on our street, we moved on to our original mission of touring wineries.  Me excited, kids not so much......

Winery Numero Uno.........  The 1810 Country Inn And Winery.

Im really excited about this place because it not only boasts a vineyard, but also historic buildings circa 1810.  The website they have is fantastic and shared all the history involving this winery.

So, after a few foibled attempts at finding this place.  An encounter with quite the lovely large Angus Bull.  We finally found the place.  And it was shut down.

The restaurant had been boarded up.  The cottages were occupied, but not by guests.  And the vineyards were seriously overgrown.

We did get some pictures of the kids, as you can see here.  And a few of a pretty nifty automobile circa mid 20th century.  But that was about it.  There was a bug though, and he scored big with an all you can eat buffet served up on my ankle. 

 No, they didn't knock the fence post down.  It was already like that.  I swear!
 Ike's looks like he's got some evil mastermind thoughts stewing about.
 Look, eucapliptus growing wild in Georgia!  I had to crack up, the whole field was littered with sprigs of the stuff.  It sure smelled better than the usual Wet Dog smell that plagues this state.
Alex was none too thrilled with getting his picture taken.

With our failed expedition to the winery, we opted to hit up a local lake instead. 

 You know, most people who bring their lunch to work with them usually opt for a sandwich.  This guy, he brought out his smoker.  He must be a Texan!  Oh look, he is!  The smokey smell of mesquite wafted across the visitors center parking lot.  We were told the guy is from Houston (that would be the Texas version of Houston pronounced like "hues-ton"not "hows-ton"), and that he does this often.  Then they were raving about that chunk of beef he makes a lot, you know a brisket.  I miss Texas.....
 Isn't the lake pretty?
 This would be Izzy and Ike impatiently waiting for us to stop gawking.
 Such a gorgeous day!
 This would be the lady bug Izzy found, it pooped on her. 
 Here we are at the bottom of the dam, and there are my kids chucking rocks into the water.
 We then hit up the beach, where I made my kids stay clothed and wouldn't let them near the water.  They really "loved" me for that!
 I love going to the lake!
 Check out the cones on that thing!

From there, we headed home for the day.  Grilled some chicken, and impatiently waited for power to be restored.  Which it was! At 9:40 pm, 45 hours and 40 minutes since he had gone out......  We showered with hot water!  And then headed to bed.

Stay Tuned for Part Three!  Why yes!  There is more......

No comments:

Post a Comment